5 Potentially Toxic Substances Lurking In Your Home That Can Harm Pets

In commemoration of National Animal Poison Prevention Week, which will be celebrated from March 19 to 25, our team wants to share some of the most typical household items that are hazardous for pets.

#1: Medications

It’s no secret that one of the biggest threats to our furry friends is medication consumption. Food-driven canines are specifically at risk, quickly picking up forgotten pills on their owners’ floors or snooping around in visitors’ suitcases for interesting treats. If your pet ingests medicines, don’t wait—contact an animal poison control hotline straight away! An overdose can be deadly so immediate medical attention is essential and could save your beloved pet’s life.

#2: Food

Protect your pet from dangerous and hazardous ingredients found in the kitchen. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol, avocados, unbaked yeast dough, alcohol, grapes, and raisins pose serious health risks such as kidney failure seizures or alcohol poisoning if consumed by pets. Keep them safe by discouraging counter-surfing during meal prep – a locking trash can is an ideal solution to prevent inquisitive noses!

#3: Household chemicals

Every chemical in your home can cause your pet harm if they ingest enough. Ensure the following common chemicals are locked up away from your pet:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover


#4: Houseplants

Before introducing new plants to your indoor or outdoor garden, it is essential to make sure they are pet-safe. Several common houseplants such as lilies, dieffenbachia, elephant ear, and spider plants can be fatally toxic for cats if touched; even inhaling the pollen from a lily flower can cause death in felines. Also, watch out for ivy and oleander when outside – these, too, are poisonous to pets! For more information on dangerous flora, check the ASPCA’s Toxic Plant List before bringing any blooms into your home.

#5: Batteries and coins

If your pet ingests a battery or coin, it can lead to drastic health problems. Chewing and puncturing batteries can cause chemical burns, and swallowing them whole can result in gastrointestinal blockage. It’s important that you keep these objects out of reach at all times to ensure the safety of our furry friends!

If you think your pet has been in contact with a toxic substance, contact our team immediately.